Saturday, May 24, 2008

I Met the Nettles

For all of Ireland's beautiful country side, who would have known it contains something called nettles? Now I know all to well!

Dawson and I set out across a large field to walk up a beautiful hill across the way. It was picturesque and inviting. We came to a barbed wire fence that was about waist high and I set Dawson on the other side. As I climbed on the top strand of barbed wire in my effort to hop the fence, the strand gave way and I fell back into a growth of these nettles.

I immediately knew something was wrong. It felt like a thousand needles had punctured my arms and hands. I tried to brush the pesky stickers away, but there was nothing there. No, I had been "stung" as it were. Almost immediately large whelps appeared, not unlike those received from the common bee sting.

Fortunately, there was a local Irishman back at the house and he showed me a plant that serves as an antidote to the miserable nettle bite. The whelps are mostly gone, though I have had a tingling sensation for hours.

Now I just have to wait for the barbed wire gash in my leg to heal.

Battle scars, friends, battle scars....

5 comments:

ShirleyMc said...

Sounds as if there is a sermon there....I miss all of you, but am so glad you feel "at home."

Vicki said...

ouch!

Anonymous said...

That's no problem for big bad now is it?

Anonymous said...

okay, was the tingle of the nettles like..............the one you get from a brisk 'Irish Spring' shower? or the the one that comes from a York peppermint patty? I'm jus' askin!

Anonymous said...

Thought a good ole' Irish saying would be appropriate here. To be said of an unfortunate one..."He is always in the field when luck is on the road."

Bíodh lá maith agat! (Have a nice day!)