Tuesday, June 10, 2008

Bric-a-Brac

We are still working to settle in to our house. It is amazing having to start all over with a family of five. We are very much trying to get used to living is another country. Getting used to the food is probably my biggest challenge right now. I don't know what to cook! The don't have the same seasonings and prepackaged foods that we have. LOL.

We are looking for the right vehicle. We have come across some great deals, but have not settled on anything yet.

Our neighbors are truly a God send. (Thanks Johnny and Naomi for being great friends!) They have blessed us so much since we have been here.

They gave us a washer/dryer thingy. I say "thingy" because it is not like anything I have ever seen or used in the states. It takes FOREVER to wash clothes, and never really dries them. Today, I hung clothes over chairs outside to try and dry them. And what should have been two loads of laundry turned out to be six! I don't understand what people do here. They don't have closets and the don't have very big washers. We must be wearing too many clothes and washing them way too often. I don't know. We are really thankful for the washer. We just have to get used to it.

We miss Shawna Mansfield. She is still in the states with her dad. I believe that he is doing much better. I pray that she will be back here soon to keep things running smoothly.

Church was great on Sunday. We had 19 people. And one of our families was out on holiday. (We call it vacation. They call it holiday.) A lovely family of 6 was there. It was nice to have new faces to add to the "crowd."

Oh, Dawson played his guitar on the platform during service. I thought that he had this all planned out with David. He didn't. Just as service began, he ran up on the platform like an old pro and played his guitar just as serious as the rest of the musicians. It was the cutest thing in all the world. A true Kodak moment and I didn't have my camera! He loves to worship God.

Bric-a-brac is a word/phrase that we see here. I interpret it to mean something like "this and that" but actually it refers to low price items usually sold at resale shops.

Keep our wee church in your prayers. I know that God is going to do awesome things in Northern Ireland.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Shawna here -

I miss you all too! We've had very good news about my dad the last two days so keep praying. He even asked for his shoes today (scraggily voiced) so I think he is wanting to get up and walk :) We'll see what the doctor says.

Dawson played on the platform! how cute!

Keep up to date about my dad on my blog:
www.gamutdesigngroup.com/ireland/blog.html

Love to all of you :)
Shawna

ShirleyMc said...

So many different things to learn in a new country - seems that you are doing well. I will be interested in knowing what you learn to cook in Ireland!

Love you bunches!

Vicki said...

girl, I feel for you with the washer/dryer combo. I am so thankful that I now have an American one paid for and shipped by the wonderful ladies of the UPC!

Anonymous said...

Precious Bunch family... Thank you for your love and burden for Ireland. I am greatly thankful that the McFarland's have your help and support for the work there. There is no price that can be placed upon such a gift. Thank you for loving and encouraging my daughter, Shawna. She has come to love your family and it would seem that a great bond has formed between you. I bless you in the name of the Lord. May the windows of heaven open wide with a continual flow into your lives.

Gail Mansfield