Sunday, August 17, 2008

Irish Lingo

So you would expect in coming to Ireland, an English speaking country, that it wouldn't be too difficult to converse. Well, there are two things wrong with that assumption.

1. You can't understand some of the people here when they speak because they talk soooo fast.

2. They have different words for many things.

I have decided to take a little time to jot down a few Irish terms that I have learned since arrival. I'm not sure if I have spelled them exactly like they do here. (Which is another whole story. They don't spell like we do. We'll save that for another blog.)

Here are the contradictions to American English that I have caught..because as I said above, I don't catch everything said.

Actually, I think I have decided to turn this into a quiz for you! It's the teacher in me. LOL. I'll list the terms in this blog. You leave comments with your guesses as to what they mean. Then, I'll blog what is actually meant by them. NO cheating! Our friends here can't help! And those of you who have been here please don't tell; you can enjoy the guesses with me. If you are guessing, you don't have to guess on all of them if you don't want to, but be sure to number your answers. (The teacher in me is loving this!)

1. Crack
2. Pants
3. Trolley
4. Chips
5. Rubbish
6. Balognese
7. Baps
8. Nappy
9. Biscuits
10. Pounds
11. Stones
12. Call
13. Pelican
14. Football
15. Tea
16. College
17. Brush
18. Garden
19. Rubber
20. Quid

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

ummm...
let's see...
4.fries
8.diaper
9.cookies
14.soccer
15.lunch??
18.yard
19.eraser

love ya'll lots

Tracie Smith said...

Thanks for sharing. You'll help us become more diversed!

4. fries
5. trash or junk
8. diaper
9. cookies
11. monuments
14. soccer
19. eraser or rubber band (heard both of them called this)

Anonymous said...

1. is spelled craic

:) from another teacher and Ireland AIMer

Anonymous said...

1. Joke
2. Underwear
3. Shopping Cart
4. French Fries
5. Trash
6. The sauce used for spaghetti, etc.
7. Bread
8. Diaper
10. Dollars
11. Pounds (i.e. how much someone weighs)
12. A song?
13. Pedestrian?
14. Soccer
15. A drink consisting of tea, cakes, and sometimes little sandwiches?
16. High School
18. Back Yard
19. Eraser
20. Money.. (i.e. 'that shirt costs 20 quid')

Thoughts from my hands. said...

5. Trash
14. Soccer
?????
I think those may be right,right???lol

Sharon said...

LOL I forgot how many different words there are! One I would add to your list that became a household word for us is "dummy" or "dody!"
Love,
Sharon, Matt, Angelina

Valerie said...

I won't give any answers due to talking with Sis. Mac so much (she told me most of what those mean), but number one is great!!

Can't wait to see the answers!!

ShirleyMc said...

Ready for your laugh??

1 – fun/party
3 – car
4 – fries
5 – garbage
6 – bologna
8 – diaper
9 – cookies
10 – money
14 – soccer
16 – high school