Tuesday, August 19, 2008

Quiz

I love the responses to my Irish Lingo. I'll give the answers now. Thanks for playing along!

First, I must say that whoever Mr. or Mrs. Anonymous is, I believe that you are either from or have visited here, or you have lived/been somewhere near. You got almost all of them right! You should tell me who you are because I think I know. :)

And as far as Shawna's "Craic" correction. I looked it up. It can be spelled either way- "Crack" or "Craic". I love being right. (And so do you. So, we are both right. Yeah!)

Thanks for the good Crack!

1. Crack= Fun/Enjoyment
2. Pants= Underwear (And trousers are what we would call pants )
3. Trolley= Shopping Cart (Their shopping carts go crazy. The back wheels aren't locked.)
4. Chips= Fries (And Crisps are potato chips)
5. Rubbish= Trash (And the trashcan is the Bin)
6. Balognese= Sauce used for Spaghetti
7. Baps= Bread (usually Hamburger Buns)
8. Nappy= Diaper (They have nappy changing stations instead of...well you get it.)
9. Biscuits= Cookies
10. Pounds= Money
11. Stones= Weight (How much you weigh.)
12. Call= Come (Signs here say "Call again" when you are leaving a certain area. And if someone wants you to call them on the telephone...they will ask you to "ring" or "phone" them. )
13. Pelican= Pedestrians (Signs here say "Pelican Crossing")
14. Football= Soccer
15. Tea= Usually refers to having dinner
16. College= Upper level high school years- Junior and Senior year
17. Brush= Broom (hee, hee...they say "brush the floor")
18. Garden= Yard (Whether or not there are flowers.)
19. Rubber= Eraser
20. Quid= Bucks ("that costs 50 quid")

And as far as Sharon's comment. I love this...Dummys are Pacifiers. That is one that I can't get used to.

Here are a few I thought of after the quiz:

Class= is the word that they use to describe something that is "cool"
Mum or Mummy= Mom/Mommy
Diary= Day planner
Jumper= Sweater
Wellies= Rubber Boats
Till= Checkout
Queue= Line
Toilet= Bathroom (They don't call it a restroom or bathroom. They simply say "toilet." Not very "class".)
Surgery= The doctor's office
Chemist= Pharmacy

I'm sure that there are more that I haven't mentioned and more that I have yet to learn. But now, if you ever come to visit, you'll have a head start on what words mean here.

2 comments:

Bonzie Designs said...

HI there,
Many thanks for the post about my bonzie label in your other blog, thats awesome, IM so chuffed that you like my work. :)
this post about the Irish slang is hilarious! (or Gas as we would say for something thats very funny! Thats Gas!!! lol
Another one to add to your list, oh and Langers=drunk
x
bonzie

Anonymous said...

Hey! I'm Shane Portier's girlfriend and I commented as anonymous on the other entry seeing is how you don't know me. haha.. but yeah I'm pretty obsessed with anything to do with the U.K. so most of those were pretty easy. :D